Sunday, September 23, 2007

May I introduce you to the Bishop.



Today, Holly and I went to our first "Young Marrieds" class. I had a great time in the class. Sam Boone did a great job being "The Substitute" and it was great to see some lights turning on in the heads of those who have never studied the Scriptures in a Narrative format. Narrative meaning that God gave us his word in the form of a story, from Genesis to Revelation; it is a story that has spanned the centuries. It is a story of hope, faith, and love. It is a story that heals and rebukes. Which got me thinking, "I never used to think like this about the scriptures." So who is responsible for my new train of thought. Well the more I thought the more I have come to find that it is Dan's buddy Rob Bell that has been helping me with this journey. But even deeper than that, who do I believe started it for Rob? Of course there could be many wonderful answers but I would venture to state that a main player in Rob Bell's discipleship belongs to N.T. Wright the Bishop of Durham. If you know nothing of this man I am begging you to do all that you can to soak yourself in his wisdom of the scriptures. He is absolutely ridiculous in his knowledge of the Texts. What's so amazing about Wright is that he, along with Rob, Dan, and myself (there are others as well), would be the first to tell you that he is on this same journey in trying to understand the Scriptures as a story not a systematic study guide. His main slant is to read and dive into the historical context of every passage of scripture. It really does bring the scriptures into new light. So without further ado, I introduce to you Bishop N.T. Wright!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

we were going to try to go, but didn't wake up in time.