Saturday, October 20, 2007

The Gospel According to Mary Poppins

I know what you are thinking because I am thinking the same thing, "How did Mike put gospel and Mary Poppins in the same sentence?" Well here is how. I was watching Mary Poppins last night with Holly and my roommate turned little sis Sara. If you haven't watched this movie in a while I suggest you do so. Watch it by yourself if you need to but I suggest watching it from an adult standpoint. I say an adult standpoint because to me there are a ton of life situations that children would just not understand unless they were taught them. I know I didn't when I was a kid or at least I did not understand the weight that each issue truly caries.
Now let me get this perfectly clear...I did not specifically watch this movie to seek out faith meanings but as I was watching, and given the time period that this movie came out, I realized how advanced this movie and its' plot really was. Yes it may be cheesy but it truly was ahead of its' time dealing with family issues, womens rights, overlooking the poor, money and how to use it for self gain or for selfless reasons. These are all very religious and very spiritual ideas; of course all things are spiritual...right!

5 comments:

03/03/1974 - 02/09/2010 said...

Not to mention the fact that people you love are sometimes called upon to leave in order to help others in greater need.

But what I don't understand is how she knows Burt (one man band/scriber/chimney sweep)? What's that history all about? There's got to be some history there.

Anyway, great observation.

03/03/1974 - 02/09/2010 said...

Let me make a clarification; I was referring to Mary P. when the family finally gets on tract, she's compelled to leave in order to help another family like The Banks. I was not referring to a family member leaving. I reread my original comment, sorry.

03/03/1974 - 02/09/2010 said...

Oh, and sorry for the spelling error (track, not tract). I'm done now.

MamaSue said...

Not to mention the reminder that although mankind is created to be slightly lower than the angels (Hebrews 2.7) he is also given dominion over the animals. i.e. "Close your mouth please, Michael, we are not a codfish." Good, good spiritual lesson there.

ThePuertoRicanSlant said...

In the beginning credits of Mary Poppins it states that the screen play is adapted from the books...soooo possibly there might be some back story filled in with Burt and Mary. There seems to be some love story that never really surfaced in the movie.