Thursday, December 13, 2007

I Am Just A Student...

Last night, December 12, 2007, was my last and final evening with theOVERFLOW youth group at The Grove Community Church. I had so many different emotions I could not even begin to explain what I felt like. But here are some of the feelings I did recognize: Joy, Happiness, Expectation, Satisfaction, Scared, Sadness, Hope for the future, theOVERFLOW, and many more (I think I am still processing). The evening was great. theOVERFLOW made a video that showed all of my summer camp characters, most of which were not that funny. They also had students come on stage and let me know what they thought of me...it was amazing! You never know exactly how people feel about you and till they tell you. It sounds ridiculous I know but it so encouraging and encouragement is what people in paid ministry need to hear. We want to know that what we are doing works and helps change lives...according to the students of theOVERFLOW...I changed lives. That feels really good to say.

I also got to play music with and for theOVERFLOW one last time which of course made my night. My voice is still not 100% due to an injury I received while playing football but I am glad that I couldn't sing. It allowed me to listen to the students sing at the top of their lungs and just enjoy the music. I've said it once and I'll say it again...High School students sing with abandonment. They don't care who is around them or what has affected their week. You could make the argument that they don't have to raise a family (stress) or maintain a "real" job (stress) but when you boil it down, they know how to relieve their relative stress because stress is all relative. Adults can learn so much from their passion and willingness to worship their God in an undignified manner; letting lose and not holding back.

One of the best items that theOVERFLOW gave me was a picture book full of letters written by the students. Each one was very personal with little memories of things that I had forgotten about.

There is no doubt that God has exciting things ahead for Holly and I but it is the weirdest most surreal feeling, NOT being on staff at The Grove. Lord thank you so much for allowing your servant to be apart of what you are doing at theOVERFLOW.


2 comments:

Jeff and Yvonne Weinstein said...

Thanks for being a part of my kids' growing up. You and Holly are amazing tools of God.

Annie said...

I'm so glad you soaked up the night and were blessed by the students and their sharing, and got to relive some old memories. It's such a bittersweet time, saying goodbye is a messy business!
Love you guys