Sunday, December 30, 2007

I'm back in So Cal

It is true and sad at the same time. I am so blessed to have gone up to the PNW (Pacific North West) and spend some great time with my family. I love them all so much and miss them already. However...I am super excited for what God has for us in 2008. Obviously, if you didn't know, we are going to have a baby girl (Sydney Claire), and from a ministry stand point I just have a feeling that God is preparing Holly and I for something, I just can't put my finger on it. I know that sounds vague but that is the little voice I have been hearing ever since I went on vacation in the PNW. Except the little voice was loud and constant.

In my last post I asked people how long their Christmas was as far as opening presents goes. My Christmas lasted 5 mins, it was great. All we did with my PNW family were stocking stuffers. Anything you can fit in a stocking was the present. I got a lot of candy, some gift certificates, some parabin free deodorant and face wash, more candy, and a whoopie cushin! What we decided to do was try to help some families from the flood areas in Washington. Needless to say we weren't able to because our contact never got a hold of us but we were willing and at the ready. Not only that but I feel we didn't perpetuate the unnecessary gift giving of STUFF we don't really need. Please, if you have not seen the video, check out the Story About Stuff at Micah Risinger's Blog site. One of the other differences I tried to make was making a gift for Holly from the heart. So I did, she loved it and it was fun to make. As a soon to be father I have been evaluating how I want to celebrate Christmas. Why is Christmas important? Is Christmas important? Why do we need to give gifts? Why do we need to give so many gifts? Is it more important to give gifts? By buying a gift(s) am I just contributing to STUFF and the way STUFF makes us feel or does it have meaning and a purpose? This could go on and on...here is another question I have now that I getting closer to being a father; Do I tell others to slow down or cease their giving to my daughter? Does she really deserved all this STUFF? Is the excessive gift giving to my daughter (I emphasize the word excessive because I completely understand the need for certain things that it takes to raise a child) actually for my daughter or how it makes the giver feel? Then I must ask the question, why does the giver need to feel this way? What does the giver gain from feeling these emotions that aren't really about the receiver but the giver? STUFF...what a sticky slope.

Moderation is an obvious answer but could that possibly be a bit of a compromise. Moderation sounds like a rationalization. What are you all doing about this? Is this something you think about?

1 comment:

TheEpicBeat said...

I deal with this constantly (the gift giving to my kids) This Christmas, we were inundated with STUFF for my daughters. She has forgotten most of it and loves the key things we knew she needed...(of course, needs for a four year old are somewhat sketchy, but it's all how it looks from your seat) a bike, which she didn't have, a kitchen, which encourages her imagination in a world encroached by Hannah Montana and Princess overload.

We teach our kids about giving and getting, but how to teach the grandparents and friends who just want to shower them with STUFF? I agree that it is tough, know that you will always deal with it.