Friday, February 15, 2008

Bad Cat Amps


So since Oct. 31, 2007 my amp has been on the fritz. I bought new tubes but it didn't help. What was happening was that I was overloading the amp with too much power! I didn't want to go all the way to the Disneyland area where I took my amp last time but I didn't know of anywhere else. A friend of mine (Stephan Summers) at CBU took his amp to Bad Cat. If you don't know anything about amps understand that Bad Cat, Divided By 13, and possible Top Hat, are the absolute best in amplification. I called Bad Cat thinking that it would cost too much for my simple Fender to get fixed but the man on the phone, James, was happy to help.
James is the owner/creator/master builder of Bad Cat amps. Today I spent 2 and a half hours with the guy that makes ridiculously sounding amps. It was great. We talked about all things geek. He also took the time to teach me about amps and electrical stuff that i never new existed about the subject. The thing that impressed me about James is that he does not play guitar. So I asked him, if he doesn't play guitar, why make amps...he said he just has a sound that he likes and wants to make that sound. The is brilliant and genuinely nice. His warehouse was filled with all kinds of bad cat amps. He gave me a tour which of course I geeked out on. So many different types of amps it blew my mind.
I know what I want for my graduation present...a Bad Cat...or a Divided By 13; I haven't fully decided.

1 comment:

TheEpicBeat said...

Ring Ring...Adam, hey, I am going over to the Bad Cat Amp place and wanted to see what you were doing...I know you have that Supro you have been trying to get looked at and that you always are there to take me to Wild West after buying ME LUNCH...U wanna go?

Was that too hard :)