Monday, April 28, 2008

My Roommates...no...My Family

I love my roommates. Not many of you know that Holly and I have roommates. This was something we decided to do over one year ago in December of 2006. When Holly and I got married, we lived in a wonderful apartment downtown, which we loved so much. Downtown is a great place to live (I think). Yeah there are crack houses, but you actually have neighbors...can't say that about the Burbs. Well one day we decided that what if we lived with people and what if those people that we chose to live with see what our marriage and life was like, intentionally living it out, as a family of non-blood related people. And what if these "family members" began to understand that this is what Christ was talking about, all being in the family of Christ. Not just saying, "hey brother" at church, but actually having unguarded relationship with people...no place to hide. We also thought...what if this style of living helped to blow peoples perceptions of individual living; living inside an American Bubble. 

Well, we did, and we have, ever since December of 2006. When we told some of our friends, or when other people got wind of what we were going to do, they freaked. It made no sense. As a married couple we should have a house on our own. To be honest, it was received in a very counter cultural thing. When I told my friends Trav and Annette, they were pumped for us and very encouraging. One of the few that, I feel, understand what communal living is all about. 

So without further ado, let me introduce you to my fam
ily...
Bryce Hubbard:
I call Bryce, Beezy, I don't know why but I do. He loves to camp, climb, boulder, and play the Wii. He is also a drummer so we have that in common. He loves following Christ and he loves his fiance Rikki (they will be living with us when they get married). Bryce is a hard gruffed guy because of 
him being a EMT. Being an EMT has allowed him to see the, "various degrees of stupidity within our human race" as he would put it. But, even though Bryce might not specialize in the gift of grace giving, he is very intuitive and wise for his age. He can see things a certain way most people don't. I am using this picture because Bryce doesn't watch a lot of TV, but when he does this is where he sits...like a little boy...his fiance thinks it's cute.





Sara Goodwin: My Little Sis
Oh Sara...what can I say about her. Well for one she is very smart. She doesn't think so but she is very, very smart. Sara and I are in the same nursing program, in the same semester. I met her in Anatomy & Physiology and became good friends. Holly thinks that she acts like her little sister Hailey. I would have to agree. Sara loves to shop. She also loves retail therapy. She is very caring and super considerate. Always considering others before herself, oh and she is super clean. The first time we did our chores back in 2006, she had to vacuum. Well, you know how when you vacuum there are lines from vacuuming and you can see where the vacuum turns to go to the next path...well there were nothing but straight lines on the carpet, no turn marks...Sara IS a perfectionist. She is also Audrey Lane's Auntie. Sara was with us from start to finish when Holly went into labor. She loves her niece and she is more than willing to watch Audrey when we have to do stuff, or when holly and I want to go get coffee. Audrey loves Sara very much as well. She smiles whenever Sara comes close or holds her. But more than that she truly is my little sister. 

There is so much I could say about Bryce and Sara, but living with them I have learned that they are introverts and they would appreciate having their life details released to the world...ha ha ha. I will say this. Choosing to live outside our bubble has been one of the best things to happen to Holly and I. We love our family. It has allowed us to see Christ in a new light. Everyone has family, but not everyone has family. 

1 comment:

portorikan said...

That's really cool of you guys. I don't know that it's something I would/could do, well, at least not now. But if possible, I would consider it.