Monday, April 28, 2008

This is what I am reading...


I love N.T. Wright. He is our modern C.S. Lewis with amazing theology all wrapped into one. The man is a poet when he writes and talks and he is freaking brilliant, absolutely brilliant. Anyways I just started reading it and he poses two great questions about Heaven and Hope: "What is the ultimate Christian hope? Second, what hope is there for change, rescue, transformation, new possibilities within the world in the present?" (Wright, 2008, p. 5).

Great question because if one holds true to turn and burn, I have punched my ticket attitude of heaven, then there isn't much hope for those behind and the cosmos we leave...

"But if the Christian hope is for God's new creation, for 'new heavens and new earth,' and if that hope has already come to life in Jesus of Nazareth, then there is every reason to join the two questions together" (Wright, 2008, p. 5).

My mind is blown already...love it!!! Rabbi Bill Risinger stretched me to read stuff that baffles and stretches the mind. This is a book that is going to do that. Pick it up folks, I dare you.

4 comments:

rev rock said...

one step ahead of you my friend. Can't wait to see you in a couple days.

escamillaweddings said...

i plan to read this on the plane.
can't wait!

Anonymous said...

Jon and I are starting this book too...awesome!

Mark Biggins said...

An interesting interview.
http://trevinwax.com/2008/04/24/trevin-wax-interview-with-nt-wright-on-surprised-by-hope/#section1
also, following jesus by wright, is really good.