Monday, November 26, 2007

Rev Rock :: AKA :: Dan Lance

I can speak in front of people. I can perform in front of people. I can preach in front of people. Today, at lunch I had many chances to tell my good friend Rev Rock what I love about him and what he means to me. Maybe I choked at the opportunity, maybe I didn't feel eloquent at the time. I do know that I don't regret not saying anything; here is why? I just feel like I will see Dan again someday and it will feel like the same. There are few friends I can say that about. The kind that you can start right where you left off. I think Dan is one of those friends; so I didn't need to make a speech about how much I am going to miss him. If anything, Holly and I have a new vacation spot. Now we have 3; Trav & Annette, Bill & Patty, and now Dan & Alyssa.

Now to make a speech about what Mr. Rock has done for me in front of 30+ people, to me, is not appropriate. But...to post, for all of bloggdom to read...now that's classic!!!

I lead musical worship. I would consider myself a good singer. I would consider myself a good guitar player. I have never had problem leading people through a song whether it was the band I was leading or a group of people singing with me. I was choir president for my high school so I would lead whole choral arrangements whenever the choir director was gone. So needless to say I have no problem with leading music and having people follow me in song. When I started leading music at The Grove I thought that it was an easy job because I can do all that I have mentioned but looking back, I was not enabling people to usher themselves into the presence of God through a common language like music.

Enter Dan Lance from, to me, Redding California. He took over the College group at VCC and brought a certain style of freedom in leading people through musical worship. I didn't like it. To me, whenever he led, his style was distracting. I didn't get why he would move away from the mic and just sing at the top of his lungs to the ceiling. It is unconventional and not conducive to leading people in musical worship. But the more he led in this way the more I understood that he was leading himself in musical worship and not just the audience. Once I understood this my ability to sing, play, and lead all came together for the glory of One. What I am saying is that because of Dan Lance, my style of leading people in music has freed me to be the music leader I am today. When I lead I do care about if people are going to get it but in the end, by the last song in the set, I am only concerned about what I am giving to God. Sure I have made my own style but the foundation I have is because of Dan Lance. The foundation I speak of is just being myself. Backing away from the mic to scream at the top of my lungs is me giving myself and acting undignified.

Dan thank you so much for showing me the truth about being caught between a song and a scream...

12 comments:

rev rock said...

thanks for the love homie! I'm gonna miss your rayon shirts and sweaty puerto rican flava. I'll fly down and we'll do a wild hogs ride up the coast. Maybe I'll bring Trav and he can ride on the back of my Vespa. It's an amazing picture in my mind.

TheEpicBeat said...

Well said...

Nice obscure Ember reference:

"Between a Song and a Scream"

classic.

The Kustom Saint said...

Thank Schulz for your influences influence, plus he and you still have
hair...mwahahaha

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this link, but argg it seems to be offline... Does anybody have a mirror or another source? Please answer to my message if you do!

I would appreciate if someone here at thepuertoricanslant.blogspot.com could repost it.

Thanks,
Jules

Anonymous said...

Hello there,

I have a question for the webmaster/admin here at thepuertoricanslant.blogspot.com.

Can I use part of the information from your blog post right above if I provide a backlink back to this website?

Thanks,
Peter

ThePuertoRicanSlant said...

You are welcome to use this information with a back link. I apologize for not responding sooner.

Anonymous said...

I've had my iPad towards everywhere 2 months at this very moment and I'm forceful you, Steve jobs certainly has his in progress of converting people to be a Mac/Apple fan. I own the iPad without 3G because I didn't be deficient in to have to contribute on the side of a supplemental silhouette in layout to get the micro SIM card. So I've kinda well-founded lived with my iPad sole where there's wifi connection. Which are aplenty anyway at Starbucks, Mcdonalds, and the libraries. This was to come my benefactor introduced me to a superb nature around this problem -- a 3G wifi router AP that supports GPRS, GSM, WCDMA, HSUPA, HSDPA, UMT and LIMIT!

I purchased the [url=http://www.dealtoworld.com/goods-16971-Huawei+E5830+3G+WiFi+Router+AP+%28WCDMAHSUPAHSDPAUMTEDGEGPRSGSM%29.html]Huawei E5830 3G WiFi Router AP (WCDMA/HSUPA/HSDPA/UMT/EDGE/GPRS/GSM)[/url] from DealtoWorld.com, in the Networking classification, under my new zealand mate's encouragement, and I in he gets points or commission from my purchase, since he's a DealtoWorld.com affiliate. The router AP is warmly little, lightweight and convenient. So any longer I can connect to wifi anywhere with mp iPad! I no longer call to go in quest of acme and coarse pro a wifi AP at cafes etc. Nor spend so much of my notes on caffeine overdose at Starbucks and other cafes. In addition, the 3G Wifi Router AP supports mellifluous much all the bandwidths -- GPRS,GSM,WCDMA,HSUPA,HSDPA,UMT,EDGE. Take a look at pictures I've uploaded of the Huawei 3G WiFi router that has made my effervescence so much easier, and is promoting a healthier caffeine-free lifestyle. It proves that a geek lifestyle does not not bear to go hand in boost with coffee.




And to reflect on I was looking at paying supplement to upgrade to the iPad that supports 3G! I'm so glad that that's not indispensable anymore with this 3G wifi router AP. I can righteous lock to the internet wherever I am with the Huawei 3G Wifi Router, as extensive as there is signal. This is not a technology invention per se, but it has certainly made my individual immeasurably more thrifty! More than that, I'm skilled to lay my fortune that I would usually spend on Starbucks, McCafe, and other cafes with wifi! Which, not later than the conduct, makes me query whether it's a ploy by Steve Jobs, to prepare launched the 3G iPad interpretation only much later, so that wifi cafes can enjoy piles of trade from iPad wifi version. But I digress.

The 3G WiFi router AP I bought from [url=http://www.dealtoworld.com]DealtoWorld.com[/url] would very likely also be able to discharge me download and caper about with my apps on my iTouch, admitting that I haven't tried it yet. Shouldn't be a refractory I should think. This $100+ may be the crush bills I've spurt since it enables me to procure a variety of WiFi nucleus wherever I am. If I was more entrepreneurial, I can smooth start charging other geeks at cafes without WiFi for the benefit of offering access to them. I'm steadfast I can easily pocket go the $100 this approach! Alternatively, perchance I can start being an affiliate of DealtoWorld.com too, since I'm starting to buy more gadgets and tools there, and have been spreading brief conversation vibrant to my household and friends. Into the bargain, Christmas is coming in less than 2 months' continually, and I characterize as this Huawei 3G WiFi router would take in a splendid cumshaw concerning innumerable of my tech geek friends. I'm unfaltering they'll also valuable how trim and bold the router looks!

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

Thanks for sharing the link - but unfortunately it seems to be down? Does anybody here at thepuertoricanslant.blogspot.com have a mirror or another source?


Cheers,
Jules

Anonymous said...

For the exelent information

I'll be back later.


Thanks again!

Have a safe and fruitful year!!!


[url=http://www.duracleanaustin.com]rug cleaning austin[/url]

Anonymous said...

Its my chief things to post on this forum,just wannat pushy some friends here.if its not allowed to transmit on this enter,please erase this thread.Nice to meet you!

---------------------------------------------------------------
[url=http://www.sexybags.info/rssrock.html]My designer handabgs[/url]

Anonymous said...


Nike Air Max série des dernières améliorations en argent 2013 Chaussures
A[url=http://airmaxnikefr2013.webs.com]Nike Air Max Pas Cher[/url], la dernière amélioration Air Max + 2013 Chaussures après la sortie en Novembre, a récemment lancé une nouvelle édition limitée. Chaussures à Hyperfuse matière d'argent comme la partie supérieure, à la fois respirante et avantages légers, également équipés d'une unité de toute la paume de coussin transparent Nike Pas Cher et de la technologie d'ajustement dynamique dynamique Flywire, d'apporter supérieure Moins porteur résistance au choc et flexibilité. La Nike Air Max + 2013 LE aura lieu le 26 Décembre à les rayons des magasins désignés.


Magasin avec confiance. Website: http://airmaxpascherfrs.webs.com