Tuesday, April 15, 2008

I Can See The Light!!!

You know...the one at the end of the tunnel...that one!!! I have 1 1/2 weeks left till this semester is over. Then It is 4 months of watching Audrey grow. So much Fun!!!
iMac Update:
I love it. I really didn't know why I even bothered with PC. It is the most intuitive computer program ever. It just makes sense. I love that I don't need virus software, I love tha it is wicked fast, I love that it is simplistic in design. Just good stuff...
Which brings me to my next point change. I would like to share with you something I learned in my Anthropology class. If something was just better for your health and productivity would you change your way of doing stuff to accomplish better health and productivity?

















The keyboards that we use are called QWERTY for the 6 letters on the top left row of the keyboard. We have been using this style since 1874. In 1932 an Education professor August Dvorak did research on the keyboard set QWERTY and made an amazing discover. He discovered that there is actually a better way to type. So he set up his own key pad:













Now this seems weird being that this is all we know but in fact, this keyboard is much more healthier for your wrist, especially reducing Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. You can learn to type in 1/3 the time it would take with the QWERTY and once you  learned it, tests have shown the average person will increase their accuracy by 68% and their speed by a whopping 74%. So why do we still go by the old way. If a new way is better for us why would we bother with the old way? Hmm...

3 comments:

portorikan said...

You know, I've heard about that before. I think it's the same reason people keep doing things they've always done.

They think it's easier/not worth the hassle to make the change.

I've thought about learning the new keyboard method, but it would suck going to work and switching back to qwerty. Also, would I be able to buy a dvorak keyboard or would I have to pop out keys and put in a new order?

Anonymous said...

Thats hilarious. I remember in like 6th grade watching a video about the metric system and how stupid America was to not conform to european measurements and they used that keyboard as another example of resistance to change even though it makes more sense. F*ckin conformists!

ian said...

i knew a guy back in high school who was all about the dvorak setup. but you can quick switch dvorak to qwerty in the system. you could switch to dvorak now and pop out and replace your keys. :)